Submitting A Proposal
THE APPLICATION PROCESS CONSISTS OF TWO STEPS. On step one, pre-proposals will be accepted and reviewed. Successful applicants will be invited to submit full proposals. All applicants will be assisted by the MN-REACH program during the full proposal preparation.
The proposed projects will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Projects must be within a single step (or being within a "few clearly recognizable steps") of a commercial transaction (partnering/licensing or MN-IP funding) as determined by MN-REACH and the Office for Technology Commercialization (OTC). Investigators seeking guidance on their project eligibility are encouraged to contact MN-REACH.
- Priority will be given to therapeutics, medical devices, diagnostics, improved devices, repurposed molecules, biologics, gene triggers, delivery systems, software or algorithms, and apps, with convincing proof of concept (POC). The POC can be defined, for example, as strong and convincing laboratory or prototype data or animal efficacy data, along with some safety data.
- Innovators should convincingly provide the POC evidence, using both commercial and scientific standards as might be judged in a commercial environment. MN-REACH will provide coaching assistance to the applicants in designing competitive proposals. MN-REACH will assist investigators' pivot from research to commercialization and work toward developing the business propositions.
- Projects become eligible for MN-REACH funding after invention disclosures are submitted to OTC and either an affirmative provisional patent filing decision is made or a project qualifies for market exclusivity through other non-patent means determined by OTC.
- Sufficient commercial potential and ability to meet an important unmet medical need are necessary to warrant funding. Projects currently under development using other funding sources but otherwise meeting the MN-REACH funding criteria are eligible for funding.
- MN-REACH will assist innovators with appropriate project management plans and training in entrepreneurship to ensure successful completion of the project and achievement of commercial developmental milestones supported by MN-REACH.
Investigators seeking guidance are welcome to contact the program via email at email@example.com. Assistance is available to every potential applicant.